Training contacts

Telephone 1300 369 935
Contact Training

Apprenticeships Info
Telephone 1800 210 210
Contact Apprenticeships Info

Queensland Training Ombudsman
Telephone 1800 773 048
Contact the Training Ombudsman

Facebook Youtube

I have an employee who would benefit from becoming an apprentice or trainee. Are they eligible?

Yes, as long as they meet the eligibility requirements to participate in apprenticeships and traineeships in Queensland.

However, dependent on how long they have worked for you, they may be considered an 'existing worker' (PDF, 330 KB) which may affect any funding for training. You can discuss this with the training organisation who will train your apprentice or trainee.

Is there a probationary period for apprenticeships and traineeships?

Each apprenticeship and traineeship has a set probationary period which provides an opportunity for you and your apprentice or trainee to work together and decide whether to continue with the apprenticeship or traineeship. During this time, you should assess your apprentice or trainee's work ethic, reliability and potential to succeed in the chosen apprenticeship or traineeship.

What is competency-based training?

Most apprenticeships and traineeships in Queensland are competency-based. This means that the time to complete a competency-based apprenticeship or traineeship is flexible. For example, where an apprenticeship used to take four years to complete, an apprentice can now complete it sooner, depending on when they can demonstrate the required skills (competencies).

When does my apprentice progress to the next wage level?

For enquiries about wages, entitlements and wage progression, contact the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94 for help in determining the correct industrial instrument and entitlements.

Be prepared for the phone call by checking what information you may need, before you call.

What is considered a notifiable event?

As an employer of an apprentice or trainee, you have responsibilities under the Further Education and Training Act 2014 to notify the department or your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider of a range of events in specific timeframes.

The ATIS-013 Employer responsibilities information sheet provides further details.

My apprentice or trainee is not making reasonable progress under the training plan and is unlikely to complete the required training with in the nominal term.

The employer, training organisation and apprentice or trainee should regularly discuss the progression of the apprentice or trainee through their competencies outlined in the training plan.

If you feel that the apprentice or trainee is not making reasonable progress under the training plan, you must notify your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider or the department, in writing, within 14 days of making that determination.

If the apprentice or trainee is unlikely to complete the required training before the end of the nominal term, all parties will need to apply to extend the nominal term of the training contract.

What happens to my apprentice or trainee if I sell my business?

If you sell your business, and the new owner agrees to continue employing and training your apprentice or trainee, the training contract continues under the new owner. The ATIS-037 Transfer of a registered training contract - statutory (sale of business or dissolution of a business partnership) information sheet provides further details.

Is there a limit to how quickly my apprentice or trainee can complete?

While there is no formal limit, how quickly an apprenticeship or traineeship can be completed will depend on a range of factors, including the competence and skills of the apprentice or trainee, your ability to provide work experience in the range of competencies required and the ability of the training organisation to provide flexible training programs.

You can start the completion process once the apprentice or trainee has achieved all the competencies in their training plan. School-based trainees would also need to have worked a minimum required number of working days.

The ATIS-009 Completing an apprenticeship or traineeship information sheet provides further details.

My apprentice/trainee just quit. What should I do?

Contact your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider or Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210 to discuss your options.

Business is slow and I am unable to currently provide the range of work required to my apprentice or trainee. What are my options?

Should you be unable to temporarily provide the range of work required to train your apprentice or trainee, due to a lack of work, business being slow or other factors, there are a number of options available. You may consider:

  • temporary transfer - you and your apprentice or trainee can agree to temporarily transfer the training contract to another employer for a period of time not more than 12 months
  • permanent transfer - you and your apprentice or trainee can agree to permanently transfer the training contract to another employer
  • suspension - if agreed, you and your apprentice or trainee can apply to suspend the training contract for not more than 12 months
  • amending the training contract from full-time to part-time.

How to make a complaint about or change my training organisation?

Every apprentice and trainee must have a training organisation (known as the supervising registered training organisation or SRTO) that will work with you to provide the facilities, services, supervision and the training required under the training plan.

Your SRTO must carry out a wide range of duties which are addressed on the ATIS-043 Registered training organisations (supervising) information sheet.

An SRTO that fails to fulfil its duties in relation to the training of apprentices and trainees should be reported to the department. Before lodging the complaint, you should try to resolve the matter through the SRTO's internal grievance or appeals process. Ask for a copy of the SRTO's policies and/or procedures.

If you are not satisfied with the SRTO's grievance process outcome, lodge a complaint with Apprenticeships Info on 1800 210 210.

You and your apprentice or trainee may also decide to replace your chosen SRTO. The ATF-010 Change of supervising registered training organisation form has been developed for this purpose.

I'm not happy with my Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider.

AASN providers, as part of their contract with the Australian Government, are the first point of contact during the life cycle of the training contract and are required to provide employers and apprentices/trainees with advice and support services from pre-commencement to completion.

If you feel your AASN provider is not doing their job, you should contact the AASN in the first instance, as they are required to have a complaint resolution process in place. If you have already been through this process and the matter still remains unresolved, contact the Australian Apprenticeships referral line on 13 38 73.

Last updated 27 November 2018

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)