A range of training and employment opportunities have been created for workers based on North Stradbroke Island and at Pinkenba mining operations to transition into new roles.
The Queensland Government is committed to supporting affected workers find alternative employment, preferably within the local area, and to support the ongoing economic viability of the North Stradbroke Island community.
About the scheme
The North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme assists affected workers employed by Sibelco, who were made redundant at the company's operations on North Stradbroke Island and the Pinkenba processing plant, to transition to alternative career pathways.
This follows the passing of the North Stradbroke Island Protection and Sustainability and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2015 to phase out sand mining on North Stradbroke Island by 2019.
In December 2020, the end date of the North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme was extended to 30 June 2022 to provide more equitable access to workers retrenched after 1 January 2020 and enable workers still employed with Sibelco more time to prepare and plan for support that is available under the scheme. Applications for assistance and relevant claim forms must be submitted for approval by 30 June 2022.
Types of assistance
Types of assistance includes:
- job search support
- training and skills support
- access to financial advice
- housing assistance
- commuting subsidy
- small business mentoring
- dislocation assistance
- income supplementation
- employer wage subsidy.
Read the North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme Guidelines (PDF, 218KB), which include the eligibility criteria.
- Employee application form – Housing assistance, commuting subsidy, income supplementation and dislocation assistance (PDF, 397KB)
- Training and skills support/job search support application form (PDF, 543KB)
- Employee application form – Financial advice and small business mentoring application form (PDF, 364KB)
- Employer wage subsidy application form (PDF, 241KB)
- Employee application form – Commuting subsidy: Ferry claim form (PDF, 276KB)
How to apply
Email the employment services manager to apply for assistance or for further information.