As of 1 October 2019, more training and employment opportunities have been created for workers based on North Stradbroke Island and at Pinkenba mining operations to transition into new roles.
The increased support from 1 October includes:
- an increase to the Employer Wage Subsidy to $10,000 for businesses based in South East Queensland who employ a former worker
- an increase in the amount of funding available for training to minimise any out-of-pocket expenses for workers looking to retrain to find another job
- extending support to partners of eligible workers who will be able to access training or job search support for the purpose of contributing to the household income
- financial advice assistance up to $1,000 per worker
- small business mentoring support up to $1,000 per worker.
The Queensland Government is committed to supporting affected workers find alternative employment, preferably within the local area, and to support the ongoing economic viability of the North Stradbroke Island community.
About the scheme
The North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme assists affected workers employed by Sibelco, who were made redundant at the company's operations on North Stradbroke Island and the Pinkenba processing plant, to transition to alternative career pathways.
This follows the passing of the North Stradbroke Island Protection and Sustainability and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2015 to phase out sand mining on North Stradbroke Island by 2019.
Types of assistance
Types of assistance includes:
- job search support
- training and skills support
- access to financial advice
- housing assistance
- commuting subsidy
- small business mentoring
- dislocation assistance
- income supplementation
- employer wage subsidy.
Read the North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme Guidelines (PDF, 128KB), including the financial assistance eligibility criteria.
- Employee application form – Housing assistance, commuting subsidy, income supplementation and dislocation assistance (PDF, 379KB)
- Training and skills support/job search support application form (PDF, 329KB)
- Employee application form - Financial advice and small business mentoring application form (PDF, 254KB)
- Employer wage subsidy application form (PDF, 318KB)
- Employee application form - Commuting subsidy: Ferry claim form (PDF, 206KB)
How to apply
Email the employment services manager to apply for assistance or for further information.