The North Stradbroke Island Workers Assistance Scheme assists affected workers employed by Sibelco, who were made redundant at the company's operations on North Stradbroke Island and the Pinkenba processing plant, to transition to alternative career pathways.
This follows the passing of the North Stradbroke Island Protection and Sustainability and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2015 to phase out sand mining on North Stradbroke Island by 2019.
The Queensland Government is committed to supporting affected workers find alternative employment, preferably within the local area, and to support the ongoing economic viability of the North Stradbroke Island community.
Types of assistance
- Job search support
- Training and skills support
- Housing assistance
- Commuting subsidy
- Dislocation assistance
- Income supplementation
- Employer wage subsidy
Read the North Stradbroke Island - Workers Assistance Scheme: Guidelines (PDF, 150KB), including the financial assistance eligibility criteria.
- Employee application form – housing assistance, commuting subsidy, income supplementation and dislocation assistance (PDF, 208KB)
- Job search support application form (PDF, 698KB)
- Training and skills support application form (PDF, 707KB)
- Employer wage subsidy application form (PDF, 184KB)
- Commuting subsidy claim form (PDF, 139KB)
How to apply
Email the employment services manager to apply for assistance or for further information.