The Workforce Connect Fund is an initiative designed to increase investment in industry and community-led projects that address attraction, retention and participation issues within the workforce.
It aims to drive systemic, industry-wide change in relation to these issues to enhance workforce outcomes for employers, employees and jobseekers.
The Fund is a key action of the Good people. Good jobs: Queensland Workforce Strategy 2022–32, developed to drive Queensland towards a strong and diverse workforce ready to seize today's jobs and adapt to future opportunities.
The Workforce Connect Fund will fund large, scalable projects delivered by industry peak bodies and community peak organisations to connect, develop and implement new and innovative strategies, services and/or mechanisms that support the attraction and retention of employees now and into the future.
It will also provide funding to small businesses that identify an immediate need for new and innovative Human Resource (HR) solutions to support their business.
For large-scale projects delivered by industry peak bodies and community peak organisations, funding is available for a maximum 12-month term. The level of funding depends on the nature of the project and is capped at up to $1 million.
For eligible small businesses, up to $5,000 is available to provide immediate human resources (HR) support and advice (subject to funding availability).
Read the Workforce Connect Fund funding guidelines.
HR Support Grants for small business
Who can apply
To be eligible, small businesses must:
- have an active Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be registered for GST
- demonstrate their principal place of business is in Queensland
- have fewer than 20 employees (by headcount)
- have an annual turnover of less than $10 million
- demonstrate that at least 50% of the business's income is generated directly from the business (i.e. not solely investments or government funding)
- declare that owners/directors are not insolvent or undischarged bankrupt.
Additionally, small businesses must have engaged with an Industry Workforce Advisor and developed a Workforce Plan that identifies an immediate need for new and innovative HR solutions to support its workforce to be eligible to apply for this grant.
- Engaging with HR specialists to receive advice and coaching to improve workforce issues
- Specialised recruitment strategies or practices to attract and retain underutilised or specific cohorts.
- New workforce systems or tools that promote human resource support and resources accessible to employees and change the current workforce operations of a business.
- Other new and innovative approaches that support workforce attraction, retention or participation
How to apply
Small businesses that have worked with Industry Workforce Advisors to develop a Workforce Plan that identifies essential HR support needs can request an application form by emailing email@example.com.
Email requests must include:
- a copy of the completed small business's Workforce Plan
- the relevant contact details of the Industry Workforce Advisor that has been working with the small business.
Help and information
- Contact an Industry Workforce Advisor.
- Read the HR Support for Small Business fact sheet.
Workforce Connect Fund information
6 October 2022: The Workforce Connect Fund information webinar was streamed live. View the presentation slides or watch the presentation.
25 November 2022: Applications closed for the 2022–23 Workforce Connect Fund funding round.
Who can apply
Industry peak bodies and community peak bodies that are registered for GST are eligible for funding under this initiative.
To ensure successful delivery of projects, applicant organisations must partner with other organisations, such as:
- peak bodies
- community-based organisations
- HR/recruitment specialists
- other relevant stakeholders.
- have a strong focus on connections and community engagement
- explore and trial new solutions with partner organisations to address industry specific issues with the aim of creating long-term, sustainable workforce outcomes
- be able to be rolled out sector-wide and effect systemic change within the specified industry.
Projects can propose to address a specific challenge within an industry (i.e. participation rates or retention of specific cohorts or labour mobility), or propose a broader concept to address identified attraction, retention, and participation issues more holistically.
Project examples could include:
- implementation of sector-wide human resources support
- design and development of new information technology platforms or systems
- development of new programs and approaches that support specific cohorts and promote social cohesion within the industry
- development of innovative pre-employment programs
- development of innovative, new mentoring or coaching strategies that trial new approaches to the professional development and retention of employees
- other innovative concepts designed to address current and future workforce attraction, retention, and participation issues.
Applications can only be accepted during an open funding round period.
One lead organisation is to apply for, and manage, funding for each project proposal.
Applications are assessed against set assessment criteria, including the applicant organisation's capacity to manage the proposed project, and assessed by an Assessment Panel established by DESBT.
How to apply
Applications for the Workforce Connect Fund must be submitted via the DESBT SmartyGrants portal.
- Create an account or log in via the DESBT SmartyGrants portal.
- Select the Workforce Connect Fund application form.
- Complete the application form, upload any required supporting materials and use the relevant templates supplied below.
- Check your application for completeness, then read and accept declaration terms.
- Submit your application before the funding round close date.
Application forms will only be available during the open funding round. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
- Applications can be completed over time, from anywhere and on any device with internet access.
- While there is an auto save feature, you are encouraged to save regularly as you complete, edit, and refine your application.
- We recommend you submit your application no later than 2 days prior to the closing date to ensure any unforeseen issues do not prevent your organisation from applying.
Help and information
- Sample application form
- Project Plan template
- Workforce Connect Fund funding guidelines
- Frequently asked questions
For all general enquiries for the Workforce Connect Fund, phone 1300 369 935 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of the Workforce Connect Fund
Support for local businesses
Employers within specific industries will benefit from large-scale projects completed under the Workforce Connect Fund by having greater access to resources such as:
- human resources support and advice
- new information technology platforms or systems
- new mentoring or coaching services.
Support for local jobseekers
Jobseekers looking to enter a specific industry will benefit from large-scale projects delivered under the Workforce Connect Fund by having greater access to resources such as:
- specific pre-employment programs
- new industry work experience programs
- standardised entry level requirement materials for specific industries.
Connecting to funded projects
It is anticipated that projects will commence delivery in early 2023.
A network of industry workforce advisors will be established to support employers to:
- address gaps in workforces and connect to potential sources of labour supply
- connect employers with other DESBT programs, including the Workforce Connect Fund.
Once projects are approved, they will be published to this website and employers will also be able to make direct contact with funded project contacts.
Approved projects will be published to this website and jobseekers will be able to make direct contact with funded project contacts.
Funded organisations will partner with a number of organisations that will also assist jobseekers connect to funded projects. Partner organisations will also be published to this website.
Email email@example.com or phone 1300 369 935 for enquiries about the Workforce Connect Fund.