The department is delivering a professional development program for Queensland secondary schools: VET Pathways.
The program supports the following key priority of the department's Strategic Plan 2019-23:
- Connecting Queenslanders and businesses to skills, training and employment so they can prosper in the economy.
VET Pathways is addressing the Department of Education's Advancing education: An action plan for education in Queensland commitment to:
- supporting student success by providing career advice
- supporting students after they leave school to connect with further learning or employment
- working with students to select the VET course right for them using regional labour market data, university entry requirements and their education and training plans.
A series of professional development workshops for secondary school staff involved with providing career advice, outlining the VET opportunities available for their students, have been held by the department in all regions across the state.
A total of 42 workshops were held during 2016 and 2017. The workshops attracted 522 participants from 255 state and non-state schools across all regions of Queensland.
Industry workshop presentations
Industry sectors were invited to make presentations at workshops. While the content of these presentations was often specific to geographic regions, the presentations may be of interest and applicable to other regions. These presentations are shared in the interest of sharing information, and do not reflect departmental policy (please refer to the disclaimer statement):
- Agribusiness – AgForce School to Industry Partnership Program (PDF, 1.5MB) and QAWN Queensland Agriculture Workforce Network (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Automotive – MTA Queensland (PDF, 711KB)
- Construction – CSQ: The world as we see it – Brisbane and Gold Coast (PDF, 835KB), Brisbane & Sunshine Coast (PDF, 818KB)
- Manufacturing – QMI Solutions – Metals and engineering trades - career pathways (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Retail – NRA National Retail Association – Ipswich (PDF, 259KB) and North Brisbane (PDF, 254KB)
- Spatial Information – Spatial education – resources for educators, What is Spatial? and Become a surveyor (UK)
- Tourism and Hospitality – Tourism and Hospitality – an industry perspective (PDF, 6MB)
- Transport and Logistics – VET 4 T&L (PDF, 463KB)
For further information:
Phone: 1300 369 935.