The Certificate 3 Guarantee supports eligible individuals to complete their first post-school certificate III qualification. It also supports school students to access training and Queensland's Year 12 graduates to transition to employment by providing free training in high priority qualifications.
What training is available?
The Certificate 3 Guarantee is targeted at certificate III qualifications because they are considered the entry-level qualification most often needed to gain employment in many industry sectors.
Foundation skills and lower level vocational qualifications may also be delivered based on the learning needs of the student. For more information, including other student cohorts who can access training, refer to the Certificate 3 Guarantee program policy below.
The full list of subsidised qualifications is available on the Priority Skills List.
How does the program work?
The list of registered training organisations (RTOs) approved to deliver each subsidised qualification is published on the Queensland Skills Gateway.
Individuals are free to choose their preferred RTO from this list. The subsidy is paid directly to the RTO as training is delivered and reported to the department.
How can RTOs participate?
RTOs must be pre-approved by the department as a Skills Assure supplier (SAS) to deliver training and assessment services under the Certificate 3 Guarantee. Read more about becoming a SAS.
What level of subsidy is available?
The investment priority or importance of the training influences the size of the government subsidy. Training in vocational areas that align with important economic and industry skills needs will receive a higher government subsidy. A higher subsidy will also be paid to support participation by disadvantaged learners (concessional students), and those undertaking training in identified country and remote locations.
The full list of subsidy levels for qualifications is available on the Priority Skills List.
Does the individual need to contribute to the cost of training?
Given the benefits that accrue to individuals from training, students undertaking certificate III training and non-concessional students undertaking lower level training, will be required to contribute to the costs of their training through a co-contribution fee.
The fee may be paid on behalf of the student by the employer or a third party unrelated to the SAS, but cannot be paid or waived by the SAS.
The amount of the fee is determined by the SAS.
Under the free tafe for Year 12 graduates initiative, the Queensland Government will cover the full cost of training in a high priority qualification. This means eligible participants will not be required to contribute to the cost of their training.
What outcomes are expected?
SAS are measured on successful training completions and whether the training resulted in employment or career advancement.
Individuals need access to a range of information to ensure they make an informed choice about a subsidised training place. To support this, SAS must meet a number of performance standards if they wish to participate and maintain their SAS status for the program. Refer to the SAS policy and SAS Agreement for more information.
Registered training organisations interested in delivering services under the Certificate 3 Guarantee must read and abide by all conditions specified in the related policy documents for the program:
1. Certificate 3 Guarantee program policy 2020–21 (PDF, 200KB) or (DOCX, 121KB) – effective 1 July 2020
2. Skills Assure supplier policy 2020–21 (v1.1, Aug 2020) (PDF, 327KB) or (DOCX, 154KB) – effective 1 July 2020
Program fact sheets
3. Certificate 3 Guarantee – Registered training organisation (RTO) fact sheet (PDF, 137KB) or (DOCX, 102KB)
4. Certificate 3 Guarantee – Student fact sheet (PDF, 70KB)
5. Certificate 3 Guarantee – Support for disadvantaged learners fact sheet (PDF, 142KB) or (DOCX, 102KB)
SAS fact sheets
6. Skills Assure supplier marketing and disclosure directive (PDF, 155KB) or (DOCX, 107KB) – effective 1 July 2020
7. Skills Assure supplier third party arrangements fact sheet (PDF, 165KB) or (DOCX, 97KB)
8. Student training and employment survey fact sheet (PDF, 149KB) or (DOCX, 106KB)
9. Student training and employment survey template (XLSX, 62KB)
Other SAS documents
10. VET investment programs – Skills Assure supplier audit evidence requirements (v1.0, July 2020) (PDF, 1MB) – effective 1 July 2020
11. Industry proposal - Funding submission for apprenticeships, traineeships and other qualifications (DOCX, 135KB)
12. Priority skills localities and location loadings list 2019–20 (XLSX, 179KB) – effective 1 July 2019
Historical program documents
Access Certificate 3 Guarantee program documents from previous financial years.
Frequently asked questions
For further information on the Certificate 3 Guarantee program, view the frequently asked questions.
Free tafe for Year 12 graduates
Free tafe for Year 12 graduates is available through 2 Queensland Government VET investment programs - the Certificate 3 Guarantee and User Choice. Read more about free tafe in high priority areas for Year 12 graduates.