To apply to have your overseas qualification assessed, please follow the process outlined below.
- Complete an application form by:
- downloading the Overseas qualification assessment application form (PDF, 334 KB)
- requesting a hard copy form be posted to you – phone 1300 369 935.
- Provide A4-sized certified* copies of documents, including:
- certificate, degree or diploma in the original language and an official English translation
- full academic transcript / mark sheet showing the number of years, subjects studied and results obtained in the original language and an official English translation
- evidence of Australian residency status (current visa / VEVO Visa Entitlement Verification Online)
- proof of name change (e.g. birth certificate or marriage certificate) (if applicable).
- Send your application form and certified* copies of documents by:
Overseas Qualification Unit
Department of Employment, Small Business and Training
PO Box 15483
CITY EAST QLD 4002
Attach the scanned certified* copies of documents and application form, and email to email@example.com.
*To be certified, documents must be signed by an Australian Justice of the Peace, or Commissioner for Declarations or other authorised certifying officer. Learn more about certifying on the Department of Home Affairs website.
The assessment process
The Queensland Government offers free assessment of overseas qualifications for eligible applicants. Your application will be considered by the Department's Overseas Qualification Unit. This service is free for Queensland residents who have permission to work or study in Australia. Application processing times can vary and applications can take up to 10 weeks to process.
The Overseas Qualification Unit can provide you with an assessment advice which compares the educational level of your overseas qualification against the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).
Your overseas qualifications will be assessed using guidelines published by the Australian Government's Qualifications Recognition Policy section. If your qualification can be assessed under the national assessment guidelines, you will receive written advice of how your qualification compares against the below AQF qualification levels.
|Level 4||Certificate IV|
|Level 7||Bachelor Degree|
Bachelor Honours Degree|
|Level 9||Masters Degree|
|Level 10||Doctoral Degree|
What qualifications can be assessed?
Overseas qualifications that compare to an Australian certificate IV level or higher and have been issued by a recognised educational institution may be able to be assessed under the guidelines. In most cases, this means qualifications issued by universities that are recognised by the country of origin and higher level qualifications issued by recognised technical colleges.
A small number of overseas qualifications gained by passing examinations with a professional body can be assessed.
Certified copies of documents
You are required to submit certified copies of documents with your application. To have a document certified, take the original document (passport, qualification award, etc) and a copy of the document to an Australian Justice of the Peace (JP), Commissioner of Declarations (Cdec) or other authorised certifying officer. Read more about who can certify on the Department of Home Affairs website.
At no cost to you, the certifying officer will stamp and sign a photocopy or make a written statement certifying that the photocopy is a true copy of the original. Most major shopping centres offer a JP service. You can search for a local JP or Cdec.
Translating and interpreting support
Help is available if you need to have documents officially translated to English. The Australian Government's Department of Social Services provides a free document translation service for eligible Australian citizens and new migrants settling permanently in Australia.
If you are a temporary resident or have lived in Australia for more than two years you can contact:
- National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI)
Phone: (07) 3393 1358
- ON-CALL Interpreters and Translators
Phone: (07) 3018 0333
- IML Translation and Interpreting
Phone: (07) 3346 8207
If you have difficulty with spoken English and have questions about the application form, contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. TIS can telephone the Overseas Qualification Unit for you at no cost.
Overseas Qualification Unit
Phone: 1300 369 935