The Department of Employment, Small Business and Training's Overseas Qualification Unit provides free assessments of overseas qualifications for Queensland residents.
Overseas qualification assessments are based on guidelines developed by the Australian Government and expressed in Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) terms.
What are the benefits?
Having your overseas qualifications assessed can help with employment and further study by assisting Australian employers and educational institutions to understand your level of education in Australian terms.
Am I eligible to apply?
To apply for an assessment you must:
- live in Queensland
- have permission to work or study in Australia
- have completed a post-secondary, technical, higher level vocational or higher education qualification overseas
- have completed a qualification awarded by a recognised educational institution.
We do not assess qualifications that:
- were completed in Australia
- are incomplete
- did not result in an award either at vocational, undergraduate or post-graduate levels
- are short courses or single-subject certificates or diplomas
- took less than one year full-time to complete
- are secondary school academic awards
- are trade qualifications
- require an assessment for migration purposes.
Assessment for migration purposes
The Overseas Qualification Unit does not assess overseas qualifications for migration purposes. For assistance with qualification/skills assessments for migration purposes, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
Assessment of non-Queensland school qualifications
The Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority provides recognition services for non-Queensland school qualifications. For more information on equivalency of school qualifications, visit the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority website or phone (07) 3864 0299.
Applying for an assessment
- Complete an application form:
- download the Application for Overseas Qualification Assessment form (PDF, 334 KB)
- or to request a hard copy form be posted to you, phone 1300 369 935.
- Provide A4 sized certified* copies of documents, including:
- certificate, degree or diploma in the original language and an official English translation
- full academic transcript / mark sheet showing the number of years, subjects studied and results obtained in the original language and an official English translation
- evidence of Australian residency status (visa / VEVO)
- proof of name change (if applicable).
- Send your application form and certified* copies of documents:
Overseas Qualification Unit
PO Box 15483
CITY EAST QLD 4002
Email the scanned certified* copies of documents and application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*To be certified, documents must be signed by a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations.
Outcome of assessments
If your qualification can be assessed, you will receive written formal advice (Assessment Advice). If your qualification is not able to be assessed, you will be advised of further options that you may wish to consider to have your qualifications recognised.
Help for non-English speakers
For overseas qualifications advice, a free telephone interpreter is available via the Translating and Interpreting Services on 131 450.
All non-English documents require official translations.
The Australian Government Department of Social Services provides a Free Translating Services for people settling permanently in Australia. Permanent residents and select temporary and provisional visa holders are able to have up to 10 eligible documents translated into English within the first two years of their eligible visa grant date.
To apply for the Free Translating Service, go to the Department of Social Services' website.
For help in applying for the Free Translating Services, phone 1800 962 100.
If you are a temporary resident or have lived in Australia for more than two years you can contact:
- National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI)
Phone: (07) 3393 1358
- ON-CALL Interpreters and Translators
Phone: (07) 3018 0333
- IML Translation and Interpreting
Phone: (07) 3346 8207
The Overseas Qualification Unit general academic assessment fact sheet (PDF, 71 KB) provides general information about the service.
Watch this video to learn about the Overseas Qualifications Unit and find out how overseas qualifications are assessed and recognised.