Training contacts

Telephone 1300 369 935
Contact Training

Apprenticeships Info
Telephone 1800 210 210
Contact Apprenticeships Info

Queensland Training Ombudsman
Telephone 1800 773 048
Contact the Training Ombudsman

Facebook Youtube

Depending on your personal circumstances, the following information about a range of support available may assist you.

Finding a job

Job search

You can check with Centrelink to find out if you are eligible for job search or other assistance from the Australian Government's Department of Human Services.

You can also undertake your own job search with the help of websites such as the Queensland Government's employment and jobs portal.

Further education

Australian qualifications

You may also wish to undertake an Australian university or vocational education and training (VET) qualification. Find out more on the Queensland Government website and the Queensland Skills Gateway.

Credit transfer and recognition of prior learning

If you decide to undertake an Australian university qualification, you may be able to have modules, units or qualifications attained from your overseas qualification credited through a process known as 'credit transfer'.

You can seek formal acknowledgement of your current trade or vocational skills and knowledge through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), including skills acquired overseas.

Credit transfer or RPL could significantly reduce the amount of study that you need to undertake to gain an Australian qualification. Find out more on the Queensland Government website.

Trade qualification assessment service

There are several organisations that can assess and recognise your trade qualification. For example, Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) is a skills assessment service provider specialising in assessments for people with electrical and metal trade skills gained overseas, for the purpose of migration and skills recognition.

Occupational registration and licensing

A qualification may not be enough to work in some occupations or professions in Australia. For some occupations, it may be recommended or compulsory that you are registered or licensed with a professional association. Trades people, health professionals, teachers and childcare workers are just some of the occupations that require registration. Engineers, accountants and landscape architects are examples where professional association membership can increase your chances of getting a job. Access a list of professional associations and their contact details. You can also research your occupation on the Queensland Government website.

School qualification assessment services

The Queensland Curriculum & Assessment Authority may be able to help you if your highest qualification was attained at secondary school.

Last updated 29 June 2016

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)