The Medium Employer of the Year award (PDF, 176KB) recognises a medium enterprise which has achieved excellence in the provision of 'nationally recognised training' to its employees.
'Nationally recognised training' refers to training that is based on a national training package or accredited course which results in a person receiving a formal qualification or Statement of Attainment issued by a registered training organisation (RTO). This includes apprenticeships and traineeships.
To nominate, the enterprise must:
- employ 20 or more, but fewer than 200, full-time equivalent employees
- meet the conditions of entry.
The Queensland Training Awards will also accept joint applications from:
- a group training organisation (GTO) who partners with a host employer
- a host employer who partners with a GTO.
Nominations will not be accepted from organisations whose core business is the delivery of vocational education and training (VET). These organisations may consider nominating in either the Large or Small Training Provider of the Year award categories.
Further information for businesses with more than one workplace in Queensland:
- The business must determine whether it wishes to nominate as an individual workplace or as a statewide business. If nominating as a statewide business, the nomination must be submitted in the region where the head office of the enterprise is located.
- If there is more than one workplace nominating (as individual workplaces), the workplaces must lodge separate nominations and compete against each other.
- If an organisation nominates as a statewide business, other workplaces of the organisation are not eligible to nominate.
Nomination period and closing date
Nominations are now open, and the closing date has been extended until midnight, Tuesday 30 June 2020.
How to prepare your nomination
Congratulations on choosing to nominate for the Queensland Training Awards. The key to a successful nomination is starting early—don't leave it to the last minute or you may run out of time.
- how to prepare your nomination, including a nomination checklist, writing tips and examples of successful nominations
- conditions of entry
- contact details for regional coordinators, who are happy to assist you with your nomination
- how nominations are judged
- frequently asked questions.
Creating an online nomination account
SECTION A: OVERVIEW (Limit: 500 words)
Provide a brief description of your business, including the products/services that you offer and any major milestones you have achieved.
Note: This overview will not be considered or used for judging purposes; it is only used to provide the judging panel with some background on your organisation. If you want any of the information from your overview assessed as part of your nomination, please make sure you also include it in your selection criteria responses.
This information may be used to develop summaries about your organisation throughout the awards process.
Please list the following details:
- industry sector
- main business locations
- number of full-time employees
- number of part-time employees
- number of casual employees
- number of contractors
- business structure (e.g. partnership, trust or company)
- length of time in operation (years)
- your training expenditure as a percentage of annual payroll.
SECTION B: SELECTION CRITERIA (Limit: 800 words for each criterion)
Criterion 1: Extent and quality of training for employees
Criterion 2: Achievements of the business and its employees that can be attributed to training
Criterion 3: Integration of training into business planning
Criterion 4: Innovation and excellence in design and delivery of training
Criterion 5: Commitment to equity in training
SECTION C: ATTACHMENTS
Provide supporting material, such as:
- high-quality organisational logo, preferably in .EPS format (mandatory)
- newspaper articles
- photocopies of awards or certificates
- letters of support (e.g. references from employees, registered training organisations or customers)
- publicity photos of achievements relevant to key aspects of your nomination.
Supporting material of up to 5 attachments may be included. Each attachment must not exceed 10MB. Accepted file types include JPG, JPEG, PNG, PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLS and XLSX. No multimedia items (e.g. YouTube videos) or discs will be accepted with nominations.
Nomination material that exceeds the maximum number of attachments will not be passed onto judging panels for assessment.
Addressing selection criteria
In your nomination, you must present your information in a way that clearly addresses each criterion. Please be aware that your responses to the criterion will be strengthened by the inclusion of measurable results and appropriate indicators, including customer satisfaction data and other types of external validation.
In developing your nomination, you may wish to take into account some of the considerations outlined below which are provided to give clarification of what may be relevant to include when writing against the criteria.
CRITERION 1: Extent and quality of training for employees (Limit: 800 words)
- your involvement in designing training specifically for your business, either alone or in partnership with training organisations
- the qualifications or courses that your employees are undertaking
- the percentage of your employees who are actively engaged in training
- hours per month (average) that your employees spend in training
- how you integrate on-the-job and off-the-job training.
CRITERION 2: Achievements of the business and its employees that can be attributed to training (Limit: 800 words)
- how training has improved the productivity and well-being of your employees (briefly describe any personal training achievements of a few of your staff)
- how training has improved your relationship with clients
- how training has improved the productivity and profitability of your business
- how you measure the benefits of training
- how training will improve your business in the future.
CRITERION 3: Integration of training into business planning (Limit: 800 words)
- the training aims of your business
- the 'training culture' that you have established within your business
- how training fits into your workforce development and business planning
- how you have formalised an ongoing commitment to training
- how you find out about the training needs of your employees.
CRITERION 4: Innovation and excellence in design and delivery of training (Limit: 800 words)
- details of creativity, innovation and excellence in the design, development and delivery of your training for your employees
- innovative methods that you use to create positive relationships or partnerships with others to enhance the effectiveness of your training
- innovative approaches that you use to encourage access to training for your employees (e.g. mentoring, e-learning and collaborative learning).
CRITERION 5: Commitment to equity in training (Limit: 800 words)
- the training you have made available to employees who are from groups under-represented in employment, education and training (such as people with disability, indigenous people, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, people in older age groups, people living in remote areas)
- the number of these employees who have actively engaged in training
- the number of these employees who have actively trained for managerial or supervisory jobs
- the training programs that have been specifically designed for these employees.
It is important to note that telephone interviews form part of the judging process and participation is a mandatory component of nominating for the Queensland Training Awards.
All shortlisted nominees must be available to participate in a telephone interview during the judging process. Timeframes will be advised as soon as possible.
Regional award ceremonies and State Gala Dinner
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the restrictions around non-essential gatherings, face-to-face regional and state award ceremonies will not take place in 2020. Instead, regional and state winners will be announced via an online campaign with more details to be available soon.