To strengthen and grow Queensland's manufacturing sector and create secure local jobs, the Queensland Government is investing in skilling Queenslanders.
The Queensland Government has committed $16.5 million to establish Manufacturing Skills Queensland (MSQ) – an independent, not-for-profit industry body that will support employers, workers, apprentices and trainees in the manufacturing industry.
MSQ will identify key skills required in the manufacturing sector and work with industry, workers, unions and businesses to deliver training programs to Queenslanders to prepare them for work in the sector.
The Queensland Government has appointed Michael Glover as Director and Chair along with six experienced employer, employee and government representatives as board directors.
Directors of the Board – Manufacturing Skills Queensland
Director and Chairperson
- Mr Michael Glover – over 20 years working across executive roles within the public and private sectors including exposure to major civil and regional development functions.
- Mr Des Watkins – Director of Watkins Steel (Employer Representative)
- Ms Natalene Carter – Director of RID Australia and the Senior Executive Operations Manager of Dy-Mark (Employer Representative)
- Ms Ann-Marie Allan – Executive Officer for the Australian Manufacturing Workers' Union (Employee Representative)
- Mr James Wilson – Queensland Branch Vice President of the Australian Workers' Union (Employee Representative)
- Mr Steve Koch – Deputy Director-General, Department of Employment, Small Business and Training
- Ms Bernadette Zerba – Deputy Director General, Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water
This new body will engage with government to assist in current and future workforce planning and the development of an Annual Training Plan for the manufacturing sector.
MSQ will ensure Queenslanders have the right skills to work in the manufacturing sector, will assist businesses to enhance Queensland’s manufacturing capability and ensure that local manufacturers are engaged with government procurement processes.