The Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Gateway to Industry Schools project will be run by the Australian Computer Society (ACS). ACS' vision is for Australia, and through this project, Queensland, to become a world leader in emerging tech talent, fostering innovation and creating new forms of value.
The project has 2 distinctive components under its pathways and connections model that include a:
- Student stream – focused on providing secondary school students with early information and career engagement services, mentoring and industry connection services, work readiness experiences and a formal vocational pathways program.
- Education stream – focused on knowledge pathways in relation to current ICT and industry trends and practices, employer and industry connections activities and experiential and immersive learning workshops.
To help address the forecast of a shortfall of ICT professionals, this project will:
- assist students and their parents with subject selection
- provide work placement and vocational training opportunities
- help students to consider starting their own business or pursue a business idea as a valid pathway into a rewarding technology career.
The project will also provide opportunities for educators within established school and industry clusters to participate in professional development activities connecting them to industry and other ICT educators across the nation to collaborate, access teaching resources and share ideas.
Participating schools and industry partners
ACS is looking to establish 10 school and industry clusters across South East Queensland, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Townsville and Cairns.
ACS is seeking expressions of interest from secondary schools and industry partners in these areas to actively engage and connect with our project to create strong collaboration partnerships and pathways for students, educators and businesses.
Interested secondary schools and industry partners can contact the project manager for more information.
Opportunities and events
Given the current COVID-19 situation, ACS is continuing to monitor the situation and will update our advice and our response as appropriate. Further information will be released as soon as possible.