The Queensland Minerals and Energy Academy (QMEA) is a partnership between the Queensland Government and the Queensland Resources Council (QRC) which provides a talent pipeline of work ready employees into the resources sector and other supporting science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) industries.
The QMEA Gateway to Industry Schools project offers a range of programs and experiences to broaden knowledge of the sector for teachers and students in Years 7 to 12 and provide pathways for young people into resource sector and related careers.
Consisting of 45 state and independent schools, the QMEA has been successful in establishing strong industry partnerships and engaging with schools and industry to facilitate numerous student and teacher activities throughout Queensland.
Teachers from participating schools and industry mentors from the large number of sponsor companies operating across Queensland are engaged in both its trade and professional development program which focuses on STEM related areas, with experiences where practical aligned to the Australian and Queensland curricula.
Teachers and students also have access to a range of specially developed and contextualised curriculum and teaching resources through the QRC's education website.
QMEA activities are structured across three phases:
- Stimulating Interest and Making Connections (Years 7, 8, 9)
- Informing Decisions and Influencing Pathways (Year 10)
- Challenging and Preparing (Years 11 and 12)
Some of the features of the QMEA range of programs and activities include:
- access for students and teachers to the resources sector's network of trade and professional employees
- engagement with tertiary students and personnel in a range of workshops related to the industry
- apprenticeship aptitude test training for those aiming to gain an apprenticeship in the resources sector
- annual trade and professional engineering camps offered in various locations throughout the state
- access for students and teachers to information on and experience with the latest innovative trends in industry within an automation and robotics context
- brokered and assisted delivery of Certificate II Resource, Infrastructure and Workplace Preparation.
For more information on the QMEA Gateway to Industry Schools project, including details about current activities and projects, opportunities for students and teachers or how your school or business can get involved, visit the QMEA website or contact the project coordinator.
- Outcomes Report (PDF, 589KB) via the QMEA website
- Calendar of events via the QMEA website
- Latest newsletter via the QMEA website
- QMEA in action.